Obviously I wasn’t prepared for a speech that day. And I have my regrets in not being able to address the moment, the occasion, and acknowledge properly the love from friends and relatives, as well as the love Anj and I share.

As much as the timing is off, (plus the fact that I’m not particularly adept at delivering speeches and normally shun the spotlight) may this delayed written speech make up for the things I wasn’t able to say that day.

Good evening. I’d like to start off by expressing my heartfelt thanks to all of you who were able to grace Anj and me with your warm presence. It was such an awesome feeling back in Nuestra Guadalupe to see all of you fill up that small church. It really was the high point of my day –

My dearest parents escorting me to the altar. Then turning around to watch: My much-respected and admired and revered ninongs and ninangs filing in; Close friends and family members who form part of the entourage; Anj’s cute pamangkins in full tow along with my inaanak in Bahay Maria; My soon-to-be in-laws who’ll be welcoming me into their family; And finally the bride, in full splendor, flashing her bright smile as she walked down that aisle.

To Earthen Vessel, the choir who sang My One and Only Love, thank you very much for doing such a lovely rendition for the processional and for gracing the Mass with your beautiful music.

To Fr. Mimo, Fr. Edwin and Monsi, (and Fr. Mario and Fr. Albert sana), thank you for celebrating the Mass for our wedding. Receiving the Sacrament of Matrimony was made more heartfelt because of them. Dear priest friends, beautiful music and seeing all the family and friends filling up the church (and Bahay Maria kids dressed in white blowing bubbles) really made it one of the most special Mass I’ve ever experienced.

Thank you to all the friends and cousins who’ve helped out in the preparations and during the program. The time, the talent and the efforts you’ve pitched in (however big or small) helped make the ceremony and reception possible.

To my family (Ma and Pa, Arvin and Caryl), I would like to thank them for all the support they have given me. With all things considered on how things go between us family members, they are my inspiration for having a nice little family of my own.

To Anj’s family (Mommy Elma, Ate Janet, Kuya Roy), thank you for welcoming me. Although I never got to meet Anj’s dad, knowing how well he (and Mommy Elma) raised Anj to be the woman she is now is tribute enough to how good of a father and a family man he was. I would have wanted him to know that I’ll take very good care of her little Marie Angelie.

And to my one and only love Anj… you have been a blessing to me. Your caring, empathic nature has tempered my dispassionate objectivity. Your carefree dancing spirit has made my bones of stone sway somewhat. Your travel appetite has brought me to many places and great friendships. You’ve yanked me out of my comfort zones and I look forward to creating new comfort zones with you in the center of it.

Little would I know what that Davao trip in late 2004 had in store for me. I had been looking for love for the longest time and the right person at the right time came into the fray. This is so easy to say in hindsight - for we can never foresee just who that person who we will spend the rest of our life with would be like. But once she’s there, it feels like she’s the most natural life partner that you ever wanted.

Ever since you came into my life, I’ve ascertained that life would be worth more living having you by my side. We’ve gone through a lot of experiences since we first met and I’m looking forward to a wide-open future with you. There’s still so much to share between the two of us and may the years ahead fill us with the fondest of memories. And I’m certain that all these will come to pass because I know and feel how much committed we are to each other.

Sharing this occasion with friends and family is a wonderful thing to have. Some of you here have travelled far and wide – Ilocos, Cebu, Passi, Iloilo, Samar, Mindoro, Surigao, Cagayan de Oro, Davao, Texas, Ireland,…at kung saan-saang lupalop ng Metro Manila. All of you here have gifted us with precious time spent in this moment of celebration. Even to physically absent friends and family who nevertheless wished us well. Thank you very much for being here. All of you gave our “big plunge” a “great splash”. Thank you very much!

Posted by
Categories:

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

in furnez jan, buti na lang you didn't deliver this. otherwise i might've bawled in front of everybody hahaha! what a moving expression of your love for angie.

congratulations ulit sa inyo :)

Anonymous said...

how sweet. sayang hindi mo ito nasabi sa reception, but it's never too late. :)

happy one month sa inyong dalawa. :)

Camille said...

wow!

Anonymous said...

Great blog as for me. It would be great to read a bit more about that theme.
By the way look at the design I've made myself Companionship in London