TORRENTS

It was raining hard when I left Tagaytay. There was also a cloud on my head during the trip back to Manila. I was bubbling with frustration with some news I received through text. So my mood was near foul and I was uncertain what was to happen after my fitting with the designer at 4PM. It took a while for Jan to convince me not to go home after.

DIVERSION

I ended up dropping my stuff at his mother’s office, then proceeding to the designer to meet up with Karen who was fitting with me. I also asked Rowie if she wanted to join us, but she said she had a doctor’s appointment for an ultrasound. She did ask Karen and I to come over to her house for dinner because Jan had a meeting with Mike as well. So that was set.

Except what we were to do between 530 and 745. Jan was suggesting we go to Greenhills to get our rings from the jeweler. And I was like, “Do we really have to go with this Friday traffic?” Karen said she didn’t mind hanging out the office while we wait for Rowie to get home. And I was like, “We should have just gone straight to Rowie’s house. Kilala naman tayo ni Manang Emily.” Karen answered, “Naku, di na puwede yun kasi may asawa na yung tao!” I was suddenly ashamed with my manners after that. Hehehe!

So Karen and I played Family Feud in my laptop and Jan slept a bit. The boy was near-indisposed, poor thing. Finally, Rowie sent us a message that she was on her way home. While I was waking Jan up, his phone had a message alert which I check for him. It was from Rowie, as well. I read it and only saw, “Jan, okay na. You can go.” Which should have been strange since she texted me already, but I just thought she was making sure one of us got the message and that she was awfully hungry. Which should be no surprise for a pregnant woman. Hehe!

Getting a cab was a challenge though. It was a payday sweldo and drivers knew that. They either demanded extra payment (which I usually do, but hate it when dictated upon me) or refused to go to White Plains. After God knows how many cabs, we got one who agreed to go.

SURPRISE

We finally got to the Rowie’s place. The door was open and more light were open, which were unusual, but again I thought nothing of it. She was making signals in her hand, but I thought she was just signaling to Mike.

And then, “SURPRISE!”

WOOOOOW!!! A lot of friends were there at her place. LHC, JVP, Fuhkers. I was really, really surprised and absolutely had no idea about it. And I went to Karen, “you knew about this?” Which she did. And I went to Jan, “you knew about this?” And he had this face which I couldn’t decipher if he was messing with me that he did or did not know. But he did. And I went, “may sakit ka talaga?” Sadly, he was indeed sick.

And whoa, I was booted out of the seminary by Fr. Mimo because he was in it, too. No big group was coming after all. He had all of his staff briefed that if I ask, they are to answer a conference was going to happen at the seminary. That was simply amazing! I did miss on a couple more siestas, but well I had a great evening in store which was worth the forty winks. ;p

It was so fun to be surprised! I love surprises. And I was clapping and hopping and yahooing with joy. It was so cool. :) And I love it that all my friends got together. I never really imagined it happening that way. There was Rowie and Karen, of course. And then there was Toni and Bok and Erik (he the LHC man. He HAS to be there in any major LHC event.). Then from the JVPs were Ninin and Ina and Mayette and Tin-Tin and Adette, then Ray and Miah caught up (all the way from Las Pinas! I love you, guys!). Tatit had a package for me all the way from the Netherlands but did not make it in time. But she was there in spirit. Then Rhia and Shiva were there too. Good thing I brought Rhia’s invitation. :) It was just so cool. Jovan made it in time for dinner, and Chin just missed the naughty stuff. But it was astig that Jan’s close girl friends made it, too. Thanks, guys!


PARTEEEEH!

So we had a wonderful, delicious dinner. The salad was superb, with its raspberry dressing. I got hit my the creamy fish which I think had some vodka in it. So I downed that with iced tea. There was also beef (?) and of course, Mike’s Lamb of God mutton dish. Nom-Nom. Dessert was PJ Mariano’s Chipper Cupcakes. If you like cupcakes… better get from her. Nom-nom-nom!

It’s actually funny, how the world is so small. Jan’s friends knew my friends. Rowie and Jovan probably knew each other before Rowie and I did. Then Chin knew Miah from high school.

Then we sent the boys upstairs when the real shower began. Sadly, Karen had to go home since she might miss the last bus home. She really wanted to be there, and I really wanted her to be there, too. Sigh. But she did leave the most amazing gift which I discovered at the end of the night.

Whatever happened during the shower stays in the shower. ;p But no, no dancing boys. Erik volunteered to bring Karen to the station so he was not able to do his dance. Hehe! Kidding. All I can say is, we had such a blast because everybody was so competitive and game. Even if we had to cringe at imagery we were subjected to. Hehehe!

The non-naughty part of the shower was matching Jan’s answer with specific questions. We matched mostly, but the boy just had his chronology wrong. But he is forgiven. I will just have to review him with our history another day. While naturally unmushy and unsentimental, Ninin and Ina were able to coax some sweetness from him. Thanks for the wonderful message, Love. I know in my heart all those things you said, but declaring it to the world makes it so romantic. A rarity, thus valued more. J

GIFTS

The gifts varied from the kinky to the naughty to the sweet. I already know what to do with some of the others. ;p Except the zucchini and the upo may not make it to five and twenty five years respectively. So right now I am wondering how to do the laundry discreetly without my mother or the helper discovering it (we will be staying with my mom for a while). Hehe! I got things to eat and things for hygiene and some food for the mind. The massager has been baptized because my back hurts terribly.

Karen left a beautiful and sweet gift which got the people going “awwwwww…” And indeed it was. She left several candles that were to be lit for every milestone of married life. From honeymoon night to the 25th anniversary. Ang galing. It is thrilling to think of our silver anniversary. And it is nice that other’s seem to be too. I will post the poem as soon as I get it from Jan (he is the keeper for now).

One thing I worry about it is that one day, our helper will come to me and say, “Ate, brownout kagabi. Ginamit ko yung malaking kandila.” Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh! LOL.

The candles have to be kept under lock and key. Hehehe!

* * * * *

Thank you, thank you, thank you to my wonderful friends. To Rowie, who did a great job organizing everything, at bedrest!!! To Ninin and Ina who thought of the games and brought the prizes. To everyone who came and spent time and effort to battle Friday sweldo traffic (which you will do again during the wedding. Sorry!) and money to make sure the marriage would be interesting and spicy. To Fr. Mimo who went along with everything and made it all the more special for me.

And to Jan, of course. Who made sure that I be surprised because he knows I love surprises.

Thank you, thank you, my dearest friends. I just know that my adult life has been one heckuva ride because of my friendships with you. We have learned a lot of things together, saw each other through different situations and here we are witnessing another milestone.

I am doubly blessed because you are all there.

Posted by
Categories: Labels: ,

 

0 comments: